IELTS Speaking Part 2: family celebration
Describe a family celebration that you remember. You should say
- what you were celebrating
- who was present
- what you and your family did to make the celebration special
- and why you enjoyed the occasion.
· I’m going to describe my sister’s wedding day, which took place a few years ago in the town where I grew up. For my sister it was the biggest and most important day of her life.
· I think there were around 100 people at the marriage ceremony, which was held in a saloon. Of course, most members of my family were there, as well as the groom’s family and a collection of the bride and groom's friends and colleagues.
· To make the celebration special, we did what families normally do. My mother made sure that the saloon and the reception venue were nicely decorated - there were flowers everywhere! Obviously we all dressed for the occasion, and there were bridesmaids, gifts, a huge wedding cake, and so on.
· I enjoyed the occasion because it was great to see my sister so happy on her big day. The ceremony was perfect, and we all had a fantastic time at the reception. It’s rare for me to see all of my family and friends together in one place, so that’s probably what made the day so memorable for me.
· took place a few years ago
· where I grew up
· the wedding reception
· members of my family
· the bride and groom
· my mother made sure that...
· we all dressed for the occasion
· and so on (instead of "etc.")
· her big day
· we had a fantastic time
· it's rare for me to see
· what made the day so memorable